Monday, March 27, 2017

Finding Peace

Every six months, members from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints around the globe gather for 12 hours of our general conference, listening to inspired (and inspiring) speakers who give guidance for those trying to follow Jesus Christ in a confusing, overwhelming world.

It might seem like a mush of do-gooder touchy-feelies. Growing up, it mostly seemed long. However, over the last few weeks, I have taken on the challenge of reviewing all of the talks from last October's conference in preparation for listening to the conference next weekend. In doing so, I have increased the faith, hope, and peace I feel in my life. And I have had reaffirmed to me over and over again that the men and women speaking to the church and the world are called of God. They are guided in the words they speak. I believe that we have prophets of God on the earth today, and God uses them to guide his people. Their messages may be simple, but they speak the words of Jesus Christ. Reviewing them has brought me the most profound sense of love and confidence in the future. I know that feeling is God teaching me truth and directing my life.

Today, I loved this nugget of pure truth from President Russell M. Nelson:
"If we look to the world and follow its formulas for happiness, we will never know joy. The unrighteous may experience any number of emotions and sensations, but they will never experience joy! Joy is a gift for the faithful. It is the gift that comes from intentionally trying to live a righteous life, as taught by Jesus Christ."
If you're looking for peace, here's one opportunity to find it. By all means, join us for this weekend's General Conference. Come and see what it can do for you.

1 comment: